Sunday, April 19, 2009

Totaranui - Abel Tasmen National Forest

Continuing is our blazing adventure through New Zealand we left Cowshed falls and headed to our Totaranui campsite in the Able Tasmen National Forest, this country is like 50% national forest, it's really amazing, a great place for outdoor activities, such as hiking or tramping.

These roads were no different twisting and turning, up and down, I was glad I was driving, because I would have been car sick I am sure. Holly was a trooper letting me drive, it gave her knee a chance to feel better. We were so lucky, at the top of this one saddle (pass thru the mountains) we had stopped and I had mentioned that we needed to get the left tire filled with air (something I had noticed a couple of days before). We made it down the mountain to Takaka with no issues, except that we did it on a flat tire. When we were filling up with gas in Takaka I looked at the tire and it was flat and shredded, luckily the station we pulled into was a Firestone dealer, whalah, problem solved in 30 minutes and on to Totaranui.


View Larger Map

We camped at Totaranui for two nights, learning all about sand flies, they are pretty pesty. We have fun camping and enjoying the night skies and sunrises and sunsets and combing the beaches.
Totaranui Camp


Here are some of the sunrises from Totaranui.
Totaranui Sunrises

No comments: